We had two almost overripe bananas, and lots of creamy milk and eggs on hand – and this was the result. We can confirm from experience that this delicious pie is great for a picnic at the springs!
There are two versions – a real pastry and real creamy milk version, and a Paleo grain and dairy free alternative.
Paleo Almond-flour Crust:
3 cups almond flour
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix the almond flour, salt and cinnamon with a fork. Stir in the honey and the egg until it forms a dough.
- Press dough into a pie pan (for a prettier crust, sprinkle some extra almond flour on a work surface, and roll out the dough. Add extra almond flour on top to keep the rolling pin from sticking).
- Bake at 350F for 10-18 minutes, or until crust starts to brown a little.
For a French-style pastry crust, see this recipe here. Prick crust with a fork before baking to prevent it bubbling up.
Now for the cream filling:
1/2 cup coconut sugar
4 Tablespoons arrowroot flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, or 4 yolks
2 cups creamy milk (sub 2 cans full-fat coconut milk for dairy-free version)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a cool sauce pan, beat together the eggs (or yolks), the salt, arrowroot, and coconut sugar until the arrowroot is evenly incorporated into the mixture.
- Gradually stir in the milk/coconut milk and the vanilla, pouring the liquid in slowly so that there are no lumps.
- Put the sauce pan over medium heat, and stir gently while it comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1-2 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Pour into baked pie crusts and cool. Transfer to the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours.
- After chilling, slice 1-2 ripe bananas and arrange over the top.
It will seem like you are stirring the filling forever while you wait for it to thicken. I recommend having a good book to prop up while you are waiting.
Keep stirring the bottom, so it doesn’t cook the arrowroot into globby chunks and leave the rest hopelessly liquidy…
Just when you’ve given up on it, it will suddenly become cream filling!